Thursday, September 29, 2011

Pounding the Pavement-With a Twist.

2 days after the crash
....Sitting here thinking of where to start, my mind is drawn to February 2011 when I was out bike shopping with fellow triathlete and friend Kelly at Geneva Bike. When I found my new tri bike, a GIANT ARYN, it was a perfect fit, and coupled with a "trained engine", I had no idea it would move me through my 2011 tri races at lightening speeds. I hadn't set out to be the best, but I wanted to beat myself-and since I can't chase myself, I needed to find someone I COULD chase, one whom I knew to be the fastest....which in essence, made me aspire to be faster than I thought I could be. I am forever chasing Kelly....she knows I am always chasing her, which is probably why she invited me to join her this past weekend.
While I am done with tri season training, I joined my Trimommy friend Saturday on a long training ride for an upcoming race she was participating in. I kept up with her, but she was having a super strong day! It was a great and powerful ride until the crash. Yeah, the CRASH. And as always, Kelly went before me! We gave new meaning to the term "pounding the pavement".
There was a motorist who wanted to beat us to an intersection and turn in front of us, so to avoid collision with a motor vehicle, Kelly braked and cartwheeled still clipped in, and I followed suit. At least, I think. I actually unclipped before the collision, but blacked out right after unclipping. Digging deep in my memory, all I can recall is the sound of sirens awakening my senses. After providing my beloved's phone number to a bystander who called him on my behalf, I was whisked into the care of the arriving paramedics. I was in the ambulance answering questions of others when the only question I had was "WHERE did the motorist go who cut us off-or did we get hit?" No one, even 5 days later, has a solid answer.
The ER ran a CT Scan and checked me before releasing me into the care of BJ (my beloved) and beautiful daughters, Mariah and Hope. I cannot recall ever, being so happy to see any of them.
Our lives had been spared, but not without incident. For the past 4 days I have endured road rash on my entire left side of my face, a black eye, persistent dizziness and nausea from a concussion...all of which are now beginning to fade.
Kelly's stitches in her face were removed today, but she dons a sling on the arm she makes music with: she's a professional flutist.
I have also endured endless blessing. My husband has laid down his everyday life for me and my children greet me each morning with a smile and a kiss and a "Oh Mommy, your face is looking better today...." Every day I have a new friend who checks in on me, brings my family a meal or treat, or encourages me with edification straight from the heart of God. Each blessing is tied by a heartstrings from God to me. HE knows JUST what I need and when-only God could know just what my heart NEEDS.
I have begun to evaluate what I am going to do when my body is well enough to get back to work-kickboxing, cycling, running, ...lifting. I know listening to my body and its clear messages will be the catalyst for success or failure of my fragile but strong temple. I know that many are watching to see that I practice what I preach.
The message that I want to be seen and heard the loudest though, is that my God, is an awesome God and in my weakness, He is my strength. He cares for my well being and those whose lives I touch around me. What a great responsibility to bear the name of Christ, and O what a privilege. For it was HIS grace that went before Kelly and I that day.
This is where my journey as you know it, BEGINS.

No comments:

Post a Comment